Nurseries, Books and Websites for growing local plants
Growing Local Plants: Nurseries
- APACE - Specialises in plant species indigenous to the Swan Coastal Plain and the Darling Range. The nursery is open to the general public.
1 Johannah Street, North Fremantle
Phone: 9336 1262
- Bunnings Inglewood - stock some local and West Australian plants
861 Beaufort St, Inglewood
Phone: 9271 0222
- Miaflora Garden Centre and Café - stocks some local and West Australian plants.
905 Beaufort Street, Inglewood
Phone: 9370 2928
- The Friends of Kings Park - Hold plant sales from autumn to spring each year culminating in the annual Wildflower Festival in September.
Phone: 9480 3643
- Lullfitz Nursery - Specialists in Australian plants.
Cnr Caporn Street and Honey Road, Wanneroo
Phone: 9405 1607
- Zanthorrea Nursery - The tranquil surroundings of Zanthorrea Nursery's hills garden centre make choosing plants a pleasure.
155 Watsonia Road, Maida Vale 6057
Phone: 9454 6260
Attracting Wildlife to Your Garden
- Aplin, K., Paino, A. and Sleep, L. (2000) Building Frog Friendly Gardens: A practical guide to encouraging frogs to visit and breed in gardens of southwest Western Australia, Western Australian Museum, Perth.
- McCulloch, Ellen (2000) Birds in your Garden, Hyland House Publishing, Australia.
- Pizzey G. (2000) Australian Bird Garden: Creating Havens for Native Birds, HarperCollins Publishers, Australia.
Great Books about Local Plants
- Lullfitz, George (2002) A New Image for West Australian Plants, Perth.
- Powell, Robert and Emberson, Jane (1996) Growing Locals, Western Australian Naturalists’ Club (Inc), Perth.
- Powell, Robert (1990) Leaf & Branch Trees and Tall Shrubs of Perth, Department of Parks and Wildlife, Perth.
- Too, T. (2002) Grow With Us A Resource Kit for Growing our Wonderful Western Australian Wildflowers in your Garden, Wildflower Society of Western Australia (Inc), Perth.
Websites about Local Plants and other web resources
- Snape, Diana (2002) The Australian Garden - designing with Australian plants, Blooming Books, Melbourne.
- Thompson, Paul (2002) Australian Planting Design, Thomas C. Lothian Pty Ltd, Melbourne.
- Urquhart, Paul (2000) The New Native Garden Designing with Australian Plants, New Holland Publisher (Australia) Pty Ltd, Sydney.
A range of gardening books, including some of the books listed above, are available at the City of Vincent library. Cnr Loftus and Vincent Street, Leederville. Telephone 9273 6090.